The University of the Philippines is envisioned as the national university, a public and secular institution of higher learning and a community of scholars dedicated to the search for truth and knowledge as well as the development of future leaders.
- Lead in setting academic standards and initiating innovations in Teaching, Research and Faculty Development in Philosophy, the Arts and Humanities, the Social Sciences, the Professions and Engineering, Natural Sciences, Mathematics, and Technology; and maintain Centers of Excellence in such disciplines and professions;
- Serve as a graduate university by providing advanced studies and specialization for scholars, scientists, writers, artists, and professionals, especially those who serve on the faculty of state and private colleges and universities;
- Serve as a research university in various fields of expertise and specialization by conducting basic and applied research and development, and promoting research in various colleges and universities, and contributing to the dissemination and application of knowledge;
- Lead as a public service university by providing various forms of community, public, and volunteer service, as well as scholarly and technical assistance to the government, the private sector, and civil society while maintaining its standards of excellence;
- Protect and promote the professional and economic rights and welfare of its academic and non-academic personnel;
- Provide opportunities for training and learning in leadership, responsible citizenship, and the development of democratic values, institutions and practice through academic and non-academic programs, including sports and the enhancement of nationalism and national identity;
- Serve as a regional and global university in cooperation with international and scientific unions, networks of universities, scholarly and professional associations in the asia – pacific region and around the world; and
- Provide democratic governance in the university based on collegiality, representation, accountability, transparency and active participation of its constituents and promote the holding of fora for students, faculty, research, extension and professional staff (REPS), administrative staff and alumni to discuss non-academic issues affecting the university.
The SPMO operates under the Office of the Vice-Chancellor for Administration. Broadly, its stated functions per 996th BOR meeting dated February 24, 1987 and EO No. 99-2 dated July 12, 1999 are:
- To procure and issue supplies and materials;
- To maintain and control inventory records on properties;
- To effect systematic and coordinated transfer of supplies, equipment and materials from one person/unit to another;
- To sell and dispose of supplies, materials and equipment which are obsolete, condemned or surplus;
- To conduct biddings for the disposition of disposable property and develop standard and criteria for determining their utility;
- To administer and provide supply and property management services to all units of UPLB; and
- To coordinate, perform or assign to other competent units, the purchasing, storage, standardization of specification, property utilization, disposition and accountability insofar as there will be consistent of effectiveness, efficiency, economy.